Friday, January 28, 2011

A Book That Changed My Life

For those of you who know me pretty well, you know that I am always busy with something--some kind of project, practicing a certain talent, or working on making myself look and feel better.

For those of you who know me really well, you know that I am an extremely passionate person who does not settle for anything less than greatness once I put my mind to something.

Unfortunately, time is not unlimited, and I have come to the harsh reality that one does not become perfect at everything all at once.  This knowledge, as I came to believe in it more and more, started making me depressed.  I thought that what they used to tell me when I was in kindergarten was true; that I could do anything.

Well, turns out they were right.  They were precisely right about me being able to do anything.  But nobody told me exactly how.

Sure I could just try out new things, work hard, believe in myself, and see if it "clicked."  But now I truly believe that if that mentality is ALL that people have when they approach something, they will fail, or at least not make as much progress as they would hope.

Working hard and believing in yourself are very essential elements, but they are not the core elements of achieving greatness.  Even the word "practice" was defined in my mind slightly inaccurately, and I practice all day every day!

But when I read this book


My life, my perspective, my habits, my rate of progress at MANY different things, changed FOREVER.

I won't spoil it for you, but this is a must read if you ever want to be great at anything.  It will get you there faster than you could have gotten there yourself.  This book defines many misconceptions and mental barriers that we all have, and it will open your eyes to a whole new world.

Before I read this book:
  • I couldn't run more than a mile at a time, and I would die afterward, swearing that I'll never be good a good athlete.
  • I was OK at ballroom dancing, but not spectacular.
  • I practiced my flute 4-6 hours a day, making very little progress per day.
  • I was afraid of math, computer science, and anything that I thought I would never be able to understand.
After I read this book (I didn't read it too long ago, mind you):
  • I can run over 3 miles without dying, and I feel like I could go much longer.
  • I have developed very defined abdominal muscles.
  • I have been inspired to locate a very good ballroom dance instructor, and my progress has been more than I ever imagined would happen in 3 weeks!
  • I practice my flute 3 hours a day, making the same progress as I would in 12 hours.
  • I am inspired and fascinated with math, computer science, genetics, and everything that I thought would be scary.
  • I am a much more confident and happy person deep down inside.

I can't say that many books have really changed me.  I have read plenty of books that have inspired me to be better, and even books that have piqued my interest in many different fields, but not one that has completely changed me from the moment that I picked it up.

I hope that at some point in your lives (hopefully sooner rather than later) you will make room in your schedule to read this wonderful book.  If it does for you what it did for me, you will become superhuman as far as your capabilities to tackle just about any project.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to put it on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to read this one! I'll have to get my hands on a copy of it.

    ReplyDelete